Generally you will use to install apps inside the Windows installation drive, the fact is that
more devices has limited local storage. Microsoft introduced a new feature in windows phone 8 to allow users to install apps directly onto an external SD Card. The same feature will continue to be part of windows 10 desktop and mobile.
Steps to save windows store apps to external storage
- In the Search bar, type “Storage”.
- It will show Storage right on the top (or) Manage Storage Spaces.
- Click on it and it opens. Here, you will see a list of drives with free space and used details.
- Next, choose the drive where you have the apps installed.
- Then select Apps and games.
- You will see a search box here to find apps quickly.
- While moving an app, you will find two options. One is Move & the other is Uninstall.
- Click on Move button and choose the drive you want to move your app.
- By doing that your app with data will be moved to the new drive.
- Once the app moved to new drive, then it will get off from “This PC” list.
- If you have to see the moved app, select the drive you moved the app to.
Install Future Apps to Different Partitions
- Scroll down the screen where you see “Save Locations”.
- Here, you will select the drive which is used for storing the apps in future. Just like the Windows 10 Mobile. Apart from apps, you have options for Documents, Music, Pictures and Videos as well.
Using command prompt
Run the following commands on command prompt to move the folder to another drive. It is not recommend to move single apps.
- Open cmd (command prompt) by pressing windows button + R in your keyboard.
- Run the command “takeown /F “C:\Program Files\WindowsApps” /A /R”.
- Make an exact copy of the folder on the new drive.
- After that run the command “robocopy “C:\Program Files\WindowsApps” “D:\WindowsApps” /E /COPYALL /DCOPY: DAT”
- All files and folders have been copied.
- It is essential to delete all the data on the original folder in c: drive.
- To delete the data, run the command “rmdir /S “C:\Program Files\WindowsApps””
- Now create a representative link that points from the original folder to the new folder. Run the command: “mklink /D “C:\ProgramFiles\WindowsApps””D:\WindowsApps”” to do that.
Advantages of upgrading to windows 10:
- The new start menu recognizes whether you are using a desktop computer or a tablet and even smart enough to work with convertible tablet.
- Cortona will able to schedule reminders, initiate calls, check calendars, set alarms, etc., all with the power of voice.
- Apps from Windows Store will run from a Windows Phone to Windows Server Edition. Credentials, notifications, Settings, saved games, etc., all will synchronize between apps on different devices.
- Spartan, the new browser is replace the Internet Explorer. It will have deep integration with Cortona.
- Metro apps can be moved around the desktop, just like any other window.
- Windows 10 now boots to a desktop mode straightly i.e. no more start page.