What is spam?
Spam is nothing but the unwanted pictures or content displaying to your contacts on behalf of yourself. This might include bulk of messages being sent automatically, sharing or posting links to you and your friend’s timelines, sending friend requests to someone whom you are not aware with. Sometimes, this spam may spread by the people who click on spammy links or installing the malicious software’s.
Is your facebook account sharing on spam over chat or posting, sharing spammy videos on your timeline, tagging your friends? Does your account started sharing spammy links to your friends? Then no doubt your account has been attacked with spam/virus.
Don’t worry!! This is quite common. Now a day’s many people using facebook might encountered these kinds of issues at some or the other point. The spam might be anything like advertising videos, celebrity videos, diet control, promotional products and many more.
When once clicked on those videos or links that directly spam’s your profile with malware. It is quite essential for everyone to know that if your profile has begun posting spammy messages automatically – you might fall into trouble. In spite of what wrong notices or even Hollywood motion pictures may have inferred, it is perfectly know that your account has been “hacked” your record with no activity or slip-up on your part.
If the account is hacked, then it’s definitely the profile owner that has committed an error – they might just not have acknowledged what that slip-up was. About all tricks on Facebook nowadays lie on social strategies – that is to say they trap a Facebook client into bargaining their own profile. A profile posting messages consequently is an immaculate illustration of this. It implies a Facebook client has encountered to a trap.
Facebook virus: The first step is to change your account password when your account is encountered with virus.
How to change password?
- Login to your facebook account
- Click on Account -> settings. Then appears your “My Account” page
- Click on “edit” option present on the right corner of “password”
- Now appears three boxes 1. Old password 2. New password 3. Re- type new password
- Type your current password into the “old password box”
- Then, type your new password into “new password box”
- Retype your new password in “Re- type new password box”
- At last click on “change password” option. Hence your password gets changed.
Once you’ve changed your facebook password, update a status stating that your account has been affected with virus as I clicked on spammy link and thus got affected with spam.. Advise your friends not to tap on any links that seem, by all accounts, to be from you (then cease from posting any links for some time so individuals don’t stress over which connections are great or terrible). On the off chance that you know particular individuals got a viral link from you, go to their Facebook Wall and erase the message from you (if you can) and let your friends know not to tap on those links.
There are many other reasons why your profile has begun posting messages independent from anyone else. Here we list the 4most well known ways by which your account gets hacked,
- Facebook apps: The very first thing to do – is to check out whether any application is sending those messages. To be known, facebook apps are not malwares or spammy software’s. Malware is just the software that gets installed on to your system and has access to your computer. A facebook application is software that gets installed from your facebook account and it has access to only few limited features, depends on the permission you give to that particular application while installing it.
How to avoid or remove it?
Be careful while installing any application from your facebook account. If you have already fallen into risk of installing a spammy application then follow the below process to remove it,
- Open your facebook account and go to settings, at lift side of the page you see option called “Apps”, click on it.
- Now, a page appears with “Apps, games, websites and plug-ins. Open the list and remove all the applications which you don’t trust. (Click on remove app).
- You can see the list of application which has access to your account. Not every application is bad; remove those which you don’t trust. Click on the right side of every application (“x” icon) click and remove the apps.
- Share/link widgets: you might know that facebook has allowed many tools that allow users to share external websites or web pages on their account. You might also know about the “like” and “share” buttons that most of the webmasters put it on their web pages. Clicking on those buttons will redirect your page to be shared on the individuals facebook account. This sometimes results in sharing the virus or malware from the websites or web pages to your facebook account when shared.
How to avoid / remove it?
Be careful while you visit different websites and where you click. One way that helps you from getting a malware is to focus. Before you tap on a link, consider the source. Is this the kind of link this companion normally shares? If not, don’t click on it. In case you’re attracted to click on the link, first drift your mouse over the link and look in the lower left corner. You’ll see the URL joined to that link. On the off chance that it’s not a URL you’re acquainted with, don’t tap on that link. If you see .data in the link, I propose not tapping the link.
- Browser extensions
These are the small programs that provide extra functionalities to your internet browser. This type of extensions has become popular now days to hide the facebook timeline. These are prone to be malicious and the main reason to share messages instantly to your contacts. If you have installed a browser extension to your system then your account automatically send messages to other accounts.
How to avoid it?
Be careful while downloading or installing any software’s. Never install or download the software’s which you don’t trust. If at any times, when you click any link to install software, sometimes it asks you to confirm the installation. Never do it. Any browser extension cannot be installed without the user permission. So it’s basically you are the responsible person. If you have already done with installing the malicious software extensions then better remove it.
How to remove browser extension in Google Chrome?
- Open your Google chrome browser settings
- Click on “tools” -> “extensions”
- And then select the extension to be removed and delete it.
- Phishing attacks
What are phishing attacks?
You might know that few people create fake facebook accounts that look similar to a facebook login page. When you enter your login details (username and password), this automatically stores your login credentials. This is called as phishing.
A fake login page looks similar to this,
As these people now have your login information, they can open your account on behalf of yourself and post or share things to your friends. They send messages like ads or videos asking your friends to click on them.
How to avoid it?
Check whether you opened the correct fb login page or not. Never ever enter your account password on fake login pages. If you have already opened it through fake login page then the only option is to change your account password. If you are getting messages from your friend’s account which is phished, never ever open or click on those messages or links.
Sometimes your fb account can get spam or virus through your computer also. If you have malware on your computer then follow these steps to remove it,
- First step is to change your facebook account password
- Now, scan your computer. Scanning may be failed with few software’s. and so facebook has been partnered with few other software’s like F-Secure scan, ESET scan, Microsoft security scan and many.
- Its better upgrading your system.
- Remove browser ads on or extensions(if any)
- You can also open your fb -> activity log and delete all those unnecessary links or posts.
- visit facebook help center for any other help.
If you find more tips or ways to remove spam/virus from facebook account, please leave your comments below.