Whether you are a big business magnate or a ‘common’ individual the one thing you should be careful about is your identity. If you were to look at the latest statistics pertaining to identity theft, then you will find:
- Medical identity theft is on the rise.
- The FTC or US Federal Trade Commission dealt with identity theft as its top consumer complaint in the year 2014.
- Children and senior citizens are also vulnerable to identity theft.
- Tax ID theft and credit card fraud are the top reported identity theft instances.
It therefore makes sense for you to invest time and energy into finding a professional identity protection service for yourself. Here are a few things you can keep in mind while doing so.
Read the reviews
The internet is full of websites dedicated to talking about identity theft protection companies. It is a good idea to tap into these websites for information. But also:
- Find out about what people are saying on online chat forums.
- Check out social media interactions about a company.
- Ask for expert opinions from the people you know.
What can you expect from a company?
A company dedicated to protecting you from identity theft should be able to:
- Alert credit agencies about theft on your account.
- Give you timely warning about theft.
- Have an insurance policy for identity theft.
- Alert the police about identity theft too.
- Give you a range of plans when it comes to identity protection.
Compare and contrast
Considering the fact that there are a large number of plans out there, you should be able to compare protection plans offered by one company and from multiple companies as well. This will allow you to delve into important details such as:
- Price of each plan.
- The extent of coverage delivered by each plan.
- Antivirus software.
- Whether the company has won any awards for its services.
- Free trials of the plan.
- Longevity in the business.
- Family protection plans and so on.
Your credit score is an important financial index and a theft protection service should be able to monitor your credit and alert you of any discrepancies. One of the ways in which a company can do this is by carrying out a 3 Bureau monitoring which will tap into information provided by Experian, Equifax®, and TransUnion® credit reports. In fact a company may also offer a free credit report when you sign up with them.
The cyber world
Identity theft measures have to encompass your online presence as well. For instance, protecting your children from cyber bullying is a good idea in today’s world. You also need protection for your medical data and social media presence too. A service provider can also give you cloud storage which is secure and reliable. You can use this storage for your most important documents.
Delve into all aspects when you compare plans of protection. This will give you an insight into some interesting support services offered by a company too – for instance, emergency cash if you report that your wallet has been stolen.