Recent studies have indicated that by implementing preventive maintenance plan, the Return on Investment increases by as much as 500% and more. As such, with such a remarkable ROI, you cannot avoid implementing the plan.
Having said about the profits you are likely to earn, what matters is how successfully you will be able to implement the same, which will decide the fate of the preventive maintenance program and also how much benefit you will be able to derive from the plan.
In this write-up, we will discuss as to what are the different steps you must take so that it is a success.
How will you benefit from the preventive maintenance plan?
Prior to getting into the crux of the matter, it is important to understand the benefits that you will enjoy if you are able to adopt the plan under expert guidance.
- It will help you to keep frequent downtime at bay.
- Your manufacturing operations will run smoothly
- If the production is carried out seamlessly, you can meet client demands easily
- Efficiency of your equipments increases
- There is less of wear and tear in the machinery and assets
- The life of machinery increases by several times
- The cost of maintenance and repair gets minimized
- You don’t have to face the wrath of sudden equipment breakdown or failure
- You can track word orders from your mobile device or while you are on the go
How to implement the plan judiciously?
In order that the plan is successful, it is best to take the initiative step-by-step. And these are mentioned in the points below-
- Form a team with the right members
Implementation of the plan requires teamwork. And for this you have to include the maintenance managers, technicians, staff, and workers that have been entrusted with at least some kind of role or the other. Also, members of the production control, accounting, and data processing have to be included in the team.
- Plan your objectives
Work out the goals and objectives of introducing the preventative maintenance plan with the help of your team members.
- Work out asset and equipment inventory
Make a list of the equipments and machinery that you will require and the ones that you already have. When you draw up a list, make sure you include details like-
- Serial number of the model of the equipments you already use or intend to use and you have just bought them
- Model number
- Technical specifications
- Place or site where the machines are located
- Category of the machines
- Cost of the machines
- Decision making
You have to take a decision regarding the health or prevailing condition of each of the machines and prioritize them according to their requirement. Now tag the ones that that cannot be done without.
Make sure you include that in the list of priorities when it comes to the preventative maintenance plan. When you include an asset in the list of priorities, also find out the labor time and skill that is required for operating the instrument or machinery.
- Work out the maintenance schedule
Majority of the organizations that implement the plan make use of CMMS software. The Computerized Management Maintenance Software (System) can also be accessed through your hand held devices commonly your mobile. As such, if you are using mobile CMMS, you can track work orders, schedule them, assign work orders to the concerned personnel, and schedule a date on which the inspection will take place.
Also, decide when you would want to schedule the maintenance operation and how you would like to work out the short term maintenance plan and the long term maintenance plan with the help of your team members.