Starting a blog is not the big deal but starting a successful blog is the big thing. I have earlier mentioned also, blogging is no longer just a hobby and it has become a full-time income source for many bloggers.
But this has not been done in a day or month. It takes years to start, grow, and make the blog profitable. In this blog, we are going to show you what all you should take to make your blog profitable by starting from scratch.
Here we are going to majorly focus on the planning part of the blog like what all you should decide before you even make your website live. This will contain planning on niche, platform, plugins, installation etc. For the install of WordPress, I highly recommend you follow the guide shared by 000webhost.com for reference. They have shared the different methods to install the WP successfully.
Let’s start and what all it takes to get started with the planning of starting a blog with WordPress.
Decide the niche
Niche selection is very important for anyone before you even start thinking of starting the blog. Niche is something which decides the future of your blog.
Not every niche works for everyone and you should be very careful before you decide. You should only go ahead of those niches on which you have some idea else you will be out of the topics. But at the same time, don’t start the niche which won’t generate much revenue. You should go ahead withprofitable blogging niches. But the thumb rule for niche selection is-
- Make sure you have some background in the niche
- At least you have 15-20 handy in that niche
- The topic is scalable for future expansion
- It can generate revenue
- Multiple sources of income are possible
If any topic is maintaining the above points, you are good to go ahead.
Work on the themes/templates
Themes/Templates are again one of the major factors you should consider, and it completely depends on the kind of site you are starting.
The best thing is no matter what kind of WP site you are starting, there are plenty of options available. All you have to do is, select the best as per your use. You can take help of the theme search sites like-
- Athemes and more…
You can browse these markets and find the best theme for you depending on the category. Following are some factors you should take care while selecting any themes-
- The theme should be completely responsive
- It should be SEO optimized
- It should support the ads of different types like AdSense, Affiliate etc.
- Ecommerce features should be enabled
- Customization options should be available
- Proper support and cost should also be taken care of
You will find a number of themes satisfying this and you can go ahead as you like.
Hosting and Plugins
The next thing that comes here is the hosting which is an important asset for anyone. If you are a complete beginner, then I recommend you to get started with free web hosting companies like 000webhost as they are the leading provider as of now. The best thing I found with 000webhost is, it offers almost all the premium features of the free plan as well.
Also, as I explained above, using the 000webhost guide, you can easily install WordPress on your hosting using single-click installation and get started. It’s easy, scalable, and reliable with proper support.
Here are the few things you can consider while selecting the paid hosting-
- Uptime should be good
- Proper support and pricing
- CMS features and regular backups
- Single-click installation features
Now, it’s time to find the domain name for your next blog. Try to find some memorable domain name so that it can be branded. Especially if you are starting the long-term blog then branding becomes even more important. Below are some of the feature you should look for while registering for a good domain name-
- Try to choose asmall name
- Go ahead with top TLDs like com/net/org as possible
- Avoid using hyphen or numbers in the domain name
- Make sure it looks professional and can be branded
- Avoid using the copyrighted/TM names for any legal issues
Ok…this is the beauty of the WordPress which supports over 40k different plugins for different uses. You just name the work and you will find some plugins available.
Following are some basic plugins those you should definitely install to get the best out of WordPress and do your proper work-
- SEO related plugins- SEO by Yoast/All in one SEO
- Security plugin- Sucuri/iTheme Security
- Backup related plugin- Backup buddy
- Email collection & Marketing- Mailchimp/MailMunch
- Social Media promotion- SumoMe/Bloom/floating social bar
- Cache plugin- W3 total cache
- Analytics & Webmaster- Google Analytics and Google Webmaster tools
- Comments- Intense Debate/Disqus
- Table related plugin- Tablepress
- Spam Comment- Akismet
- Contact Form- Contact Form 7/WP Forms
- Ecommerce- WooCommerce
And there can be other plugins which you can install later depending on your need. But make sure you are installing the plugins from only authentic sources preferably from your WP dashboard.
If you are installing any premium plugins, make sure it is premium and not the nulled plugins else you may come with some serious issues like avirus.
Once your site is live, you need to work on the content part. Make sure you have some good articles already written related to your niche and ready to be published.
Look for monetization
In the end, you should definitely well plan for the monetizationof what all you will do to generate the income from the blog. Following are some of the major methods using which you can monetize it-
- Google AdSense recommended for the beginner
- Amazon Affiliate Marketing
- Other Affiliate Marketing offers
- CPA/CPC kind of offers
So, now depending on the level of experience and expertise you can get started with any of these. But I will recommend you to first go ahead with AdSense and then slowly move through the different monetization techniques.
These were the 7 top factors you should check before starting any new blog on WP. If you are planning well and sticking to it, then definitely you will do well.
So, take action now and make blogging as a good source of income.